Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Roasted" Garlic White Sauce

When I cook, I rarely use recipes, and if I do I consider them more of a "guideline" than instructions. I don't like being held hostage by recipes and feel it squelches my own culinary creativity. Some of my best dishes have come from taking risks in the kitchen. My new white sauce is one of these recent successes. I hadn't planned on posting it, but after multiple requests I decided to go back in the kitchen, camera in hand and actually measure it out.

Heartland Hippie "Roasted" Garlic White Sauce
Ingredients:
3-4 Cloves minced garlic
2 Tablespoons organic butter
1 Cup organic Skim Milk
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tabelspoons whole wheat flour

Directions:
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter
Once butter is a melted and a tad bit browned, add garlic, salt, and spices (pictured below)

saute until garlic is browned about 3 minutes
add 2 Tablespoons flour and whisk for a few seconds
now slowly pour in the milk while whisking at the same time (pictured below)
bring sauce to a simmer then lower heat whisking often. Once sauce is thickened it is done (pictured below)
If sauce seems too thin, add a tad more flour. If it seems to thick add more milk.
Important part is to continually whisk, so that it doesn't scorch the bottom of the pan
Here's a photo of it in our "deep dish" cast iron pizza pan and a photo of the finished "greek" style pizza


Click here for whole wheat pizza crust recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment