Did you know that plain low-fat yogurt is a great healthy substitute for many not-so-healthy recipe add-ins (ie; sour cream)? I discovered this while making a box of Annie's Organic Mac and Cheese. They suggest substituting yogurt for butter/milk, so I decided to try it, and it was great! Since then I've used it in many pasta dishes, casseroles, and dressings. It's lower in calories and fat and gives you an extra protein boost.
What's so great about yogurt anyway?
The following are the top benefits of yogurt according to WebMD:
1. May help prevent Osteoporosis
2. May reduce risk of high blood pressure
3. Yogurt with active cultures helps the gut (AKA live bacteria)
4. May discourage vaginal infections
5. May help you feel fuller
To sweeten plain yogurt for eating "plain":
* 2 T jam of choice (I use Trader Joes Organic reduced sugar strawberry preserves),1T Flaxmeal
* 1 T honey and 1 T flaxmeal, top w/frozen berries of choice
Yogurt Coupons and Recipes:
For More Information: