It's that time of year again. Squash season. Last year I blanched and froze my squash. It turned out way to mushy/watery for my taste, so this year I decided to make and freeze some sort of prepared dish. I searched high and low for a good "healthy" squash casserole recipe on the web and came up with nothing, so I've created my own version and think that it's mighty tasty. I will definitely be freezing a bunch of these to enjoy throughout the year.
Healthier Squash Casserole
2 med summer squash, sliced (you can do half zucchini as well)
1/4 C organic Butter softened
1/2 T Honey
1/2 C chopped white onion
1/2 C plain nonfat organic yogurt
1/2 C organic shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 C whole wheat panko bread crumbs (you can use your imagination on this. crushed crackers or cereal would be fine too)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 C flaxmeal
optional: 1/2 c crushed pecans, 1/2 c shredded carrots
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Bring large pot of water to boil. Add squash and cook til tender (about 5 min). Drain well.
3. Place squash in mixing bowl and mash well
4. Add butter, onion, yogurt, egg, honey, salt & pepper, cheese, and if using, carrots & nuts to mixture.
5. Transfer mixture into a greased 1 quart casserole dish
6. mix bread crumbs and flax together then spread on top of mixture
7. bake 40 min @350 degrees