Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pesto Presto

   I don't know about you, but I've got loads of Basil coming up and I couldn't be happier about it. The best way to facilitate a healthy long producing plant is to harvest regularly. During peak season I harvest about every other week (sometimes more) and make a huge batch of pesto.
   Since canning at room temp isn't a recommended storage method, I freeze "pesto cubes." Once frozen I pop them out of the tray and put into a freezer food storage bag. This holds a lot of pesto cubes, but doesn't take too much space. Enjoying garden pesto in the midst of a long winter gives you a taste of the spring that lies ahead. Here's my tried and true pesto recipe:

Pesto Presto
Ingredients
3 Cloves Garlic
2 Cups Basil
3T Pinenuts (due to cost, and nut allergy concerns, I omit and it's still delish. May sub walnuts)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 C EVOO
1/2 C Parmesean
Directions
Mix everything but the parmesean in blender until smooth. Add parmesean and mix in.
Pesto Ready to Freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment