Tuesday, December 6, 2011
All you need to know about coconut oil
Coconut oil basics:
* Yes it's high in fat, but guess what? It's good fat (the kind you get in avacados, olive oil, etc) and can actually lower your bad colestorol.
* High smoke point makes it ideal for use in certain dishes and excellent for popcorn
* Great for uses besides cooking
* A natural oil. Unlike many other oils, which use hydrogenation to manipulate and create an "oil"
* Half it's fat is from lauric acid which has antibacterial, and antiviral properties
* A middle-chain fatty acid makes it easier for your body to break down, which some believe can increase your metabolism
How to use- in the kitchen:
* use in baking as a one for one replacement for butter
CLICK HERE FOR GINGERBREAD cookie recipe
* use anywhere else oil is called for in cooking. Many health professionals say coconut oil and olive oil should be the only oils in your kitchen!
- Outside the kitchen:
* apply to lips for a natural lip balm re-placer
* some people say that they use as a deodorant....I still prefer baking soda, but everyone's different
* eye makeup remover
* luxurious body butter or night cream for face (and it smells like you're in the tropics)
* help for dry scalp- put on scalp in eve then wash in am-this really helps!
What/Where to buy?
It seems pricey, but when you compare the cost to what you would spend on organic butter, it's about the same. I usually purchase the NUTIVA brand online at vitacost. You can also find it at Trader Joes, and most co-ops or Natural Food stores. It is important to make sure you get cold pressed, so that the oil still contains its beneficial properties.